Search This Blog

Monday 24 April 2017

P for Poetry Phenomenal and Pretty.

After having written about many several different topics on 'Abcw', I seldom miss an opportunity to write about one of my  favourite subjects .....'Poetry' or Poets.

It is impossible to pick favourites because there are are so many. 

I do enjoy reading humorous Prose and limerics, but then, who could resist 'The Rhyme of The Ancient Mariner' by Coleridge or 

The Village Blacksmith by Longfellow. 

The Blacksmith,

Maya Angelou really stirred  something within me when I first read 'Incredible Woman'.

One of Maya's profound messages.

Phenomenal Woman.

 By Maya Angelou.

 (The first verse, to read more  please log into The Poetry Foundation). 


Pretty women wonder where my secret lies, 

I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size 

But when I start to tell them, They think I'm telling lies,

 I say,

It's in the reach of my arms. 

The span of my hips. 

The stride of my step.

The curl of my lips.

 I'm a woman

 Phenomenally,

Phenomenal woman, 

That's me.


Now for some jocularity, this is the sort of Prose  that I like to read to the grandchildren on a gloomy day!

P for the Porcupine.  (by Ogden Nash)


Any hound a Porcupine nudges 



Can't be blamed for harbouring grudges 

I know one hound that laughed all winter 

At a Porcupine who sat on a splinter.


Who can forget the humorous poem by Edward Lear..... 

The Owl and the Pussy Cat. 

The  owl and the Pussy Cat went to sea 

In a beautiful pea-green boat,

 They  took some honey, and plenty of money 

Wrapped up in a five pound note.

 The owl looked up to the stars above , And sang to a small guitar 'O lovely Pussy  O Pussy my love What a beautiful Pussy you are,

 You are,

 You are! 

What a beautiful Pussy  you are. 


Here , below, is a picture of our beautiful  Pussy, 

HRH The Princess Chloe.


A final word from Ogden Nash.

A Word to Husbands.

 To keep your marriage brimming 

With love in the loving cup,

 Whenever you're wrong,

 admit it; 

Whenever you're right, shut up.

A

Sincere thanks to   Denise for devising ABCW, to Roger and Leslie for dealing with the administration, and the rest of the team for their support. 

Best wishes, Di.

ABCW team.


 











27 comments:

  1. I read Maya Angelou's book "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and loved it. It would make a great book for students to study and analyze. A wonderful lady and poetess!

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do especially enjoy humorous poetry and the kind that peek my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too bad so many think they are poets, when they are just....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your post - Ogden Nash is one of my favourites...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your choice of interesting poems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Roger says, a nice potpourri !

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is the wonderful thing in men... we all differ in so many ways... makes another person challenging ;-)

    I rarely read poems, I can not explain why but I don't feel them most of the time
    on the other hand, I write a lot of them... even published a book full of them in 2009 ...

    Never mind.... the one thing that counts is to do something that gives pleasure, for you that is reading poetry and for me is writing it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great choice for the letter P. That last piece of advice makes me chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. in primary school, my school was next to Blacksmith road, It wasn't a career I didn't want to have a loud, hot and sweaty job. Dad often used life examples to make us work hard. A blacksmith was one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All these poems I want to read out loud. I love the rhythm, strength, and joy of them. I love that image of the porcupine with its splinter. hahhahaha. Hugs, Di. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poetry has endless potential for pleasure. Loved your selection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute poems. I haven't heard them for a long time now.
    Happy ABCW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry but I don't see your post for Q.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unique title of the Play Bazaar and making the life changing concept in India. That is Satta King. You know satta king all games are available on the Play Bazaar website and many website copying of Play Bazaar Xyz website.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Play Bazaar Unplug appliances that will not be used frequently, especially if they have lights that are always on. These indicators suck up a surprising amount of Satta King electricity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When Play Bazaar buying toys for kids, be sure that the first thing you do before anything else is to consider your budget. It's really easy to get carried away when you're buying toys, because it can seem that they are very inexpensive compared to what you may buy for yourself. Don't be fooled; make Satta King sure that you only spend what you intend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Avoid Play Bazaar the temptation to press your hamburger patties too tightly when shaping. Though you may feel that this will help them to hold their shapes better, in reality, this just provides denser, dryer hamburgers once cooked. Also, don't press the patties down with a spatula when cooking, as this simply Satta King drains the juices.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This will give you more flexibility to make a profit than a traditional loan or a partnership, and it will involve less risk.play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cover the major platforms with great offers specifically targeted to your potential customers and watch the leads come in!
    play bazaar
    satta king

    ReplyDelete
  20. satta king
    play bazaar
    If it seems like it may be really easy to implement, you can be sure that something's wrong with it. Of course, we're talking about mobile-specific things here, like apps and formatted sites. A lot of ads and email techniques are universal, so don't fret on that front.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These weakened vessels are unable to transport oxygen and nutrients necessary for healing. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete

I usually like to reply to your comments but for some reason when i do post a reply it just diappears, any advice would be most welcome,Thanks Di x

Random Z's