Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 April 2017

M for Merriment.

As a natural optimist I always try to look on the bright side of life.  MERRIMENT on a daily basis can wash the blues away. For that reason I have a fine collection of humorous poetry, limerics, one-liners, and many stories of silliness. When I was younger and carefree I was always ready to party with friends, visit the theatre take part in pantomimes and plays. We would regularly have friends, neighbours and family around for a social 'get together' which would include MERRIMENT by the bucketful, and not forgetting, the food.

Lamb Tagine alway a favourite when Making Merry in Chez Di and Ian's,


After the food out would come the guitars, tambourines, Irish drums, violin and so on. All jolly good fun ! 

Cous - Cous.

Flat Bread.
Radish, potato and roasted nut salad,

The Tagine, would take centre stage and would be accompanied by Cous-Cous, Flat bread and salads.  
Kale and chick pea salad


My not so MERRY side of life.

Unfortunately at the grand young age of 50 I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis which was a whole life changer. No longer could I cook and entertain our friends and family, but not to be thwarted, Ian took over all the daily cooking.
 Had I known what a good cook he was, I would have hung my pinny up years ago, 
Then, our delightful daughters stepped up to the 'MERRIMEN' and entertaining platform, 
 they carried on cooking all our favourite recipes at our regular soire`s.
 Often, our lovely neighbours invite us round for yummy dinners,
 Mother (moi) now acts as the Executive Chef, sitting in our cosy kitchen, glass in hand giving out instructions, whenever required,
. They don't really need help, they are all really good cooks in their own right,
 I suspect they do it, just to keep my love of cooking 'on the back burner' !

Now back to the source of my MERRIMENT....... A few little ditties or odd odes that always raise my chuckle levels.

The Mermaid's song.

I'm a little mermaid,

 I'm as pretty as can be,

 And I live in a garden under the sea.

 I ride a seahorse and I sleep in a clam

  I'm a lucky little mermaid,

Yes, I am!

 Oh I'm a little mermaid,

 I'm as pretty as can be, 

 And I'd like to invite you home for tea.

 We'll dine on lobster and octopus stew, 

Then we'd wash it down with a seaweed brew. 

(Anon).



Mrs Moon by Roger Mc Gough.

Mrs Moon

 sitting up in the sky

 little old lady rock-a-bye

 with a ball of fading light

 and silvery needles

 knitting the night.


(Thank you Roger, my former form tutor at my Liverpool college,
A lovely, lovely guy.)

"If I decide to be indecisive that's my decision"
(R. McGough.).
"Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine".
(Lord Byron).


My sincere thanks to the Marvellous Denise who devised ABCW so many years ago, and to Roger who Magnanimously stepped in to help as the site grew..... then ably assisted by Leslie who also took on the Mammoth task.

 Last, but not least, the Multifarious team of helpers who support the Magical and sometime Mystical contributors share their talents and Musings  on Abcw.com.  

Best wishes,

 Di.

ABCW team.


 



.



                                                   

22 comments:

  1. Life can give difficulties ... we have to deal with them the best way we can... It is wonderful to see that there is much love in your family to help out eachother, that is a true blessing!

    Those dishes look very delicious... Wishing you bon apetit but most of all luck, love and happiness to continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Melody, and I thank God most days for my family,
      My love of food and cooking sure has rubbed off on my girls and husband,
      so even if it is difficult for me to get out so much we make our own fun with in and outside
      of our homes, this is easier for me to get around. The cooking with my electric Tajine
      is so easy, I picked up a lot of my recipes whilst on holiday in Turkey and Greece.
      Dank u voor uw vrienddelijke
      opmerkingen,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  2. You are FULL of merriment!
    ROG, ABCW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I am Roger.
      A chuckle a day
      keeps the doctor away !
      Best regards,
      Di.
      ABCW team

      Delete
  3. Laugh and the world laughs with you. Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cry and you cry alone !
      That is so true because nobody likes to be seen crying.
      Blessings to you Dear Arnoldo
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  4. My mother had rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed in her early 30s and really suffered. I have osteoarthritis and thought my back was getting worse. But today the doctor said it's probably bursitis in my hip so am going to use a topical anti-inflammatory, go to physiotherapy, and ice it before resorting to the old cortisone shot. Time will tell. Do you know when Ian has his op?

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways, Leslie, I consider myself more fortunate than others because my girls were quite grown
      up when I was first diagnosed so they could do a lot more for themselves than, perhaps younger children could. I've only be 'wheel chair bound' for a few years and reluctantly gave in when I'd had a couple of serious falls. I can get around the house with walking aids etc.
      I've had cortisone shots in my hips for Bursitis and they were successful for years, I wish you the same luck with yours.
      Ian has his op now on the 17th of May. At present he's doing well with his dialysis at home, the consultants want him to be stable with the renal stuff before they operate. he's amazing really and takes everything in his stride, quite stoic really.
      Hope you can sort your hips out,
      love Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your Rheumatoid Arthritis diagnosis. Glad you have some good chefs to step in and create good things to eat and that you embrace merriment! My husband worked for the biotech that developed Embrel so I've heard a lot about this condition. Hope you find routines and treatments that help you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen,
      I have had all kinds of treatment for the RA including Gold injections, Steroids Methotextrate etc. I have anti inflams and Oramorph, and MST's for my treatment at present,. I've got to the grand old age of 71 yrs so I've still got some fight left in me and I've managed to see all three girls grow into lovely wives and Mama's, and so much joy in having four lovely grandchildren...How's your lovely baby granddaughter doing, she's really gorgeous, such a joyxx
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  6. That is such a happy choice for M.
    Happy ABCW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Indrani for your kind comments.
      Best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  7. "Laughter is the closest distance between two people" - don't know who said it but it is lovely in its intimacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Di! I say in a voice of merriment. Your post has put me in such a mood, thank you very much. At the moment, the Husband and I have Grateful Dead on. The music has me practicing seat dancing. I think I may have found my exercise. Nothing like putting merriment in the body to forget about the pain. Sometimes I think if I could just crackle my knees the right way everything would be fine again. Thanks for sharing your merriment poems. I love reading them out loud. :-) A merry hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All in favour of merriment, Di - it's vital! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Play Bazaar offering to your your luck with test-luck.com website. This website is most awarded website in India. Mst trusted Play Bazaar Games website. Satta King winners daily coming in Indiaand visit to US and UK. Mind blowing concept from JustDial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Learn the lingo. It is important to sound experienced in the market. If the seller sees that you are a novice, satta king play bazaar he may take advantage of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your child is much more apt to learn behaviors when you exhibit these behaviors. satta king
    play bazaar

    ReplyDelete
  13. satta king
    play bazaar Checking out international foods is an excellent way of finding new recipes that you'll actually enjoy eating, even though they're good for you and your Diabetes.

    ReplyDelete

I usually like to reply to your comments but for some reason when i do post a reply it just diappears, any advice would be most welcome,Thanks Di x

Random Z's